Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Big Island Routines

Sighting of Mauna Kea from Lanai

Mauna Kea looming large

Requisite bouquet from farmer's market
Nightly view of Kyr and Joop either pre or post Big Island Brewhaus
Side of our beach cave at 69 beach

Joop thinking about going snorkeling

Kyr giving it serious thought as well

Front of 69 beach enclave

View of lava island - great snorkelling opportunities


Joop heading out to boogie board at Hapuna

Kyr catching a wave at Hapuna


I suppose there is nothing wrong with having a routine while vacationing. But sometimes I wonder if we've taken the  whole thing a bit far. We wake up lounge around the computer stations - I usually sit on the lanai. I make the boys nice breakfast sandwiches, make our lunch, then we board the rental car, stop at starbucks for our drinks, go to our little beach cave at 69 beach - read and snorkel, head home about 5pm, snack, shower , head into Waimea to Big Island Brewhaus where we inevitably end up chatting with people: many canadians, the chef, the waiter, sometimes locals then home and bed. I like it. In fact I'm loathe to incorporate many more activities - because what if it interferes with our time at the beach? time at Big Island Brewhaus? We met a local who had been born and raised here - Aaron - he went away to architecture school and then came back. He was full of tidbits - seemed quite amazed by our rental - acted like all of the amenities - the pastures, the streams were unheard of. He said this luscious grass that we see is from africa and is not that nutritious. I wondered about that because the horses don't seem that fat. Historically all of the beautiful pasture lands that I am so fond of were covered with trees. Hunting is quite big here - pigs and birds. The most worrisome little tidbit was how big dog fighting and cock fighting are. Joop quickly looked it up and dog fighting has been recently outlawed. I wonder how much difference that will make. A little horror in otherwise paradise. Most people own 2-3 dogs - mostly outdoors. One night I couldn't sleep and was sitting on the lanai - I've never heard so much distant dog barking in my life. Who knows what they are saying to each other? Unlikely to be predators - though the pigs do look quite mean.  Not sure how my type of veterinary medicine would fare here. I was quite horrified to think of outdoor dogs - which is quite stupid when you think of how benign the climate is.
I'm glad we've found our little beach enclave - mostly it is just us and the most darling little crabs in the world - so hilarious to watch them - Kyr actually caught one but I was minus my camera. On weekends we are happy to share with the locals - who we hear from Aaron probably only go to the beach once per week. The other day we happened upon our enclave with another family in it - we happily made ourselves at home in an unused spot - the family indignantly got up and crawled through many trees to find their own privacy. I was happy that with time our enclave was completely filled with local people  - I felt it showed that indignant family (had to be tourists) just where it is at on a public beach. This weird little family then proceeded at the end of the day to spend 45 minutes constantly trucking down to the water edge attempting to wash the sand off everything they had brought. One of the most incredible acts of futility that I've had the pleasure of watching.
At our beach enclave it is very easy to access the water - only a gentle slope of sand - no rocks or big hunks of lava. It is very easy for me - plus I love it because often I get to swim with turtles.  Hapuna beach where the boys go boogie boarding isn't so accommodating. The sand is wide and hot enough to burn your feet. The waves can be huge. Yesterday I couldn't even get in - knocked over in the shallow end - the waves come fast and furious and I'm not able to get up unless the water is deep enough. Poor Joop almost dislocated his shoulder trying to help me.








2 comments:

Melissa Hart said...

I see you consider yourselves locals already! Those tourists can sure get on the locals nerves! lol
Enjoying the pics--miss those beaches.
Dog fighting-horrible! I wonder if anyone is breeding Old Boston Bulldogs out there? God knows they're fierce!

John's pic of the day said...

Love the pics!