Thursday, June 18, 2015

Movie Vet

Dr. Dave Dempsey
I had the most tremendous luck today. The Veterinarian who is my mentor, and who is all that is wonderful in the profession, invited me to accompany him on a day of being a Movie/TV vet. The TV series is being filmed in the landscape that I have always considered the mecca - the Kananaskis. I didn't know the series (being completely TV illiterate), but I did know that it is critically well received and follows the settlement of the West by the railroad. It was by my estimation a well done production.  I was completely enamoured of the premise and found the filming very interesting. We were there to protect the horses. I haven't been around horses for years. But just being in close proximity made me yearn to have them in my life again.   For some reason one of the wagon horses took an incredible interest in David and put his muzzle and nostrils to Dave's hair as he walked by. Dave - so used to adoration by horses didn't even notice, but I did. The horses were brave and strong. The wrangler was very attentive to their well being. 


 It was amazing to watch them ford the river during the rivers' highest peak. Horses and riders were cautious and had all sorts of ways of navigating the strong current to assure the completion of task and safety of man and beast. The plot required the tipping of the wagon with the people and horses cast loose. Of course the horses just wanted to follow their human wrangler and get to the beach. The  stunt doubles were required to ride out the raging river to the satisfaction of the directors. This manoeuver  required multiple takes.




 I was amazed at the likeness of actors and stunt doubles, and of course while we were there (all horse scenes), the stunt doubles were the interesting ones. The perils in which they place themselves!!

 I've heard that movies are mostly standing around. It is true. The day was cold and wet and the standing around went on for hours, but you could keep yourself amused by just witnessing the personalities involved. The director was a very robust, large man in a grey hoody and shorts - depsite the weather being cold and torrential rains. ( I almost couldn't walk when we were finally done because the rain had dripped down from my jacket saturating my pants and made them completely inflexible, any leg movement pulled them down at the waist - it was horrific and cold). The assistant director was not in such a weird outfit for the weather and was unexplicabley jolly. The prop people were consumed with the whereabouts of a headband for the stunt double and how the revolver went missing when they fell in the river.
 The main actor was very handsome. I wish I had some understanding of the series before I witnessed the filming. I feel like I missed out on knowing how great and well received it is.  Despite physical hardships for the vets on site ( animals did way better than us), I enjoyed all aspects of the day and almost could see myself as a movie person. ( The intensity and purpose are quite addicting) But most of all it was wonderful to bask in the reflected light of my vet friend and imagine for a tiny time that I was as loved and respected as him.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your blog was very interesting. Loved the scenery shots. I can imagine how cold it was there as it was very chilly in Calgary.